Monday, March 23, 2009

Reupholstered Chair!

After a monthish of off and on work on this chair, I am done! My parents are getting ready to move, and this chair was in the pile of things to get rid of.

Since I had always wanted to try my hand at reupholstering, I thought this was the perfect opportunity. I purchased some fabric, which was definitely not upholstery-grade... not a huge concern for me. I think I ended up getting 8 yards of the main chair fabric, and three of the cushion fabric. I spent an entire day taking the old fabric off- the amount of staples was just incredible! I had three full blisters on my hand after that day, in addition to the dreaded flare-up of allergies. You see, this was a poor life choice on my part to take apart a chair that had been festering in all of its dust-mite glory for the past 10 or so years. I'm REALLY allergic to dust mites. Two full weeks later, I had recovered from both ailments and was ready to start working again.(The nastiness that collected in the chair. pretzels, coins... you name it!)

I alternated between sewing the cushion and stapling the fabric to the chair... the cushion was super-hard to sew, but it got done. And the chair was stapled and put back together again. Just don't look too close- it's not perfect. All in all, if I could go back, I would reselect the cushion fabric... it just ends up being really busy. And I may decide to tackle that at a later time, in addition to painting the legs. In the meantime, it's finishing school, finding a job, selling and staging two houses, moving, and having fun in the midst of it all.

Should you want more directions or tips on how to reupholster from a definite non-pro, let me know!

Should you want to hire me and/or complete the rest of my to-do list, also let me know!! :)

*k

7 comments:

miss match said...

i'm really impressed.

Michelle Conner said...

Weird, but I was so excited because I had sat in that chair before!! Now I feel the need to go sit in it again.

Roadrunner Chronicles said...

It was a great job! Your grandpa used to upholster furniture in the early 1960s and it would take weeks. But it never looked as pretty as this chair...

Adam Warner said...

thats pretty cool looking. can you do a chair for me so i can take with me when i move?

Adam Warner said...

thats pretty awesome, could you do a chair or the loveseat or something for me to take with me when i move?

Anonymous said...

this is lovely! teach me!!!

-megalicious

Angela said...

NICE!