Monday, March 16, 2009

NYC Day 1, part A

The NYC trip... Day 1 was killer. I flew in and had my bags by 7:15. 1 hour flight from IAD to JFK... then I took on the task of schlepping my bags to the Upper West Side. This took a mere 2 hours and 15 minutes. That's right. My subway trip took longer than my plane flight. But I was excited to figure out how to use the subway. So no big deal. Dropped off my bags at my lovely friend Sarah's house, got some breakfast at the bakery across the street, and then started my adventure. I wanted to go by a few places on 5th before heading down to Parson's... and I would also have to get lunch.

On my walk, I found Columbus Circle, which in reality, just looked like one big mess. I know it was designed to be this great moving circular wonderfulness, but I could not even imagine attempting to drive in it. There were lanes that corresponded to certain traffic lights, and lanes that took you to certain offshoots... I don't even know.

Also found Hearst Tower... which is crazy good. It was the first skyscraper to be built after 9/11. By the ads on the outside of it, though, it looked like they were in dire need of some inhabitants.

And then I found the Apple store. Uh-Maze-Ing. Really incredible. I read that it took a mere $7 million to create the glass box. Not even counting the store below it. Just the box was $7 mil. But it was so great to look at and created such a beautiful experience that I might almost say it was worth it.





And then I figured I would get the true NYC experience and go for a hot dog from a street vendor. Terrible idea, really. The vendor was getting in a fight with some other guy that was hanging around, and I got the nastiest version of a hot dog... luckily, there was no need for tums. Just a note to self never to do that again.*k