Sunday, March 22, 2009

NYC days 2-3

I'm getting tired of this neverending blogstream of NYC posts, so I'm going to hurry this one up and finish the trip in a nutshell. Friday, I was off alone again and ventured down to the SOHO area for the second day in a row. I had to find Steven Holl's stairwell in the NYU philosophy building, the DSW I had passed the day before, MOOD fabric store, and Crumbs bakery. Now, I was well aware that DSW should have been the first stop on this grand tour, because of the state of my feet from the day before. You see, I took the wrong shoes that had negative cushion. Because of this grave error, a new pair of walking shoes had to be purchased. Function won over style.

Before I found the philosophy building, though, I found this fantastic restaurant- Sweetiepie. So precious. Hot pink booths, mirrored surfaces... just so pleasant to be in. And the waitstaff was quite foreign and quite beautiful.


I found the philosophy building after some prodding of security officers and was able to take a few shots. Simple design, simple construction, big effect.

Traveled on to MOOD, the store where all Project Runway contestants purchase their fabrics... AMAAAAZING. Bolts of fabric were covering every surface in the store. Staff was not so friendly, and there was some strange Jersey-type designer there breastfeeding while purchasing fabrics. With no blanket covering. Awkward. (You can see the signage in the second story windows. Terrible signage.)


And then on to Crumbs. They were out of the Twinkie cupcakes that I was hoping to score, but I did manage a Brownie Cupcake. I finally recovered from the sugar overload and headed back uptown.

Saturday followed with a trip to the Guggenheim and a walk through Central Park. All in all, a lovely trip.
Much thanks to my wonderful friend, Sarah. She's the best hostess ever.

*k

No comments: