Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bring Your Mallard to Work Day.

Maybe it's a holiday I created. Whatever. It makes for a good Tuesday when Glen is perched atop your desk. (Glen is Mallard's real name... Mr. Glen, to be precise.) I got Glen recently in a box of Christmas goodies from two of my besties. Glen arrived to them via another friend who got him from a well-meaning, although quite odd, stepdad. Stepdad might be overdoing it, too. Let's just say mother's husband. So, let's follow this chain. Glen came from a friend of a friend of a mother's husband. Got it? But I do know the secondary friend... and the mother. Just not the husband. Regardless. Today is Bring Your Mallard to Work Day.

First thing in the morning, I had to take a photo of us getting ready to leave. Ed was so freaked out by Glen that he wouldn't sit down next to him. The lunchpail had to be used as a buffer. Even then, Ed eyed Glen with a mistrust and almost a hint of disdain.

Then Glen and I were off! I still have a hard time actually touching Glen. You see, at one time, he was a living, breathing Mallard. (I'm saying Mallard, when in fact, I have no idea what he is. Should you happen to know what kind of bird Glen is, please inform.) And now, Glen is stuffed. With fake eyes and stuff. It's gross.

Regardless, Mallard and I are here. At work. I had to carry him in to the office, and I must say... I walked faster than normal. And normal is pretty fast. You see, when I was young, Randolph (my lovely Father) would always tell me... "Kelly, walk with purpose." And so that is what I do. I walk with purpose.
(Glen getting ready to walk in to the office.)


(Glen waiting on the elevator.)


(Glen getting settled in for a long day.)

You will find below comments that happened on National Bring Your Mallard To Work Day. And Reactions. And Occurrences.

10:02am... "Kelly, is there a bird on your desk?"

11:12am... By the way, Glen smells bad.
11:40am... "WHAT IS THAT??! IS THAT A DUCK?!!" (photo taken after Aaron befriended Glen.)

1:53pm... "So do they send all of their friends... birds?" (In reference to the gift of Glen for Christmas from my lovely and thoughtful friends.)

2:45pm... "What kind of bird is that? Looks like a pretty good bird."
Me: "To eat? or to befriend?"
Other Person Who Shall Remain Nameless But Will Have Every Word Capitalized To Indicate Their Importance In My Work Days: "No, no... To befriend."

3:26pm... Someone stole the Mallard.

****Glen has been located based on the comment to follow****
4:10pm... person one: "oh my gosh, you just touched it!!!"
Person Two (Again, Indicating Importance With The Capitalized Words): "It's okay, I'm going to wash my hands."

4:28pm..."Your bird is on my desk, but I don't really want to move it because they kinda freak me out."(Glen after he was located. Silly duck. Ducks don't do CADD.)

4:51pm... "Hey, nice duck."


Glen and I after a long, hard day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAAYYYYYAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love glen!!!!!!
-rickybobby

Anonymous said...

YAAYYYAAAYYYYYYYYAAYYY!!!!!!! i love mr.glen!!!!!
-rickybobby

Anonymous said...

YYAAAAYYYAYAAAYAYAAAYYY!!!!!! i love mr.glen!!!
-rickybobby

Hillary Clarendon said...

Kelly.. I love it! So funny! I wish we worked together and lived closer to each other!

Roadrunner Chronicles said...

Oh my - poor Glen. Being rejected by Ed...

Ed? Ed doesn't reject anyone.... Mr. Glen.

tmelle said...

Kelly - your Mallard looks kind of like a Bufflehead.

Anonymous said...

This is Hilarious