Monday, January 5, 2009

National Gallery of Art

What a fantastic break. I went home to NoVA and spent a good while just hanging out and getting things ready for my last semester. One of the highlights, though, was getting to go to the National Gallery of Art in DC. I had forgotten how many AMAZING works they have on display there. The collection they have is seriously huge- ranging from Van Gogh to Warhol, they have quite a variety. I prefer the more modern side, although the classics are ridiculously intriguing. Sadly, I don't have photos of the creepy baby sculpture that was Meghan's favorite thing to look at all day... but here are a few other works that are on display. And when you get the chance, GO. Don't just pretend to go. Make a day of it.


Monet's "Japanese Bridge" was way better in person. The colors are just... fresh.


Oldenberg's "Soft Drainpipe" would have captured my attention for a little bit longer had it been dusted in the last... 15 years or so.

Matisse's famous cutouts- "Venus"


The massive Calder-mobile.


Lichtenstein's "Look, Mickey!"



Helloooo Degas and your dancers. "Four Dancers"

*k

1 comment:

Mae said...

a)I thought the 8 years worth of dust was intended to be part of the art. ?
b)Those babies were creepy and gross (you are getting a replica for your wedding present)